Legs giving out.

leg pain, leg bleeding, Farrow Wraps, Compression Stockings, cold feet, Reid Sleeve, Restless Leg Syndrome, Leg Cramps, Compression Pumps, Shoes, lower limb lymphedema, secondary leg lymphedema, leg wrapping, Cold Feet, Compression socks, nerve pain, self leg massage, right leg lymphedema

Moderators: Cassie, patoco, Birdwatcher, Senior Moderators

Legs giving out.

Postby Cindy » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:33 am

I would like to ask if our legs give out on us? My legs have almost quit on me twice lately. I was only trying to put groceries away. I had to lean heavly on the counters and get to a chair and sit. I can't stand long enough to make a cup of tea lately. I can not walk far at all now. Going from my house to the car is so hard. I have been looking at wheel chairs. The choice is hard to make. The cost is terrible. My insurance won't pay a dime. I was in a car wreck long ago and hurt both my legs. I think this is part of my problem now. My lungs are working at 69% So I fight that problem too. Can anyone suggest a good electrict wheel chair? I want one that I can go on the grass or the floor. Any help in finding the right one would be great. Thanks
Cindy

Re: Legs giving out.

Postby xshlynne » Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:41 am

Cindy wrote:I would like to ask if our legs give out on us? My legs have almost quit on me twice lately. I was only trying to put groceries away. I had to lean heavly on the counters and get to a chair and sit. I can't stand long enough to make a cup of tea lately. I can not walk far at all now. Going from my house to the car is so hard. I have been looking at wheel chairs. The choice is hard to make. The cost is terrible. My insurance won't pay a dime. I was in a car wreck long ago and hurt both my legs. I think this is part of my problem now. My lungs are working at 69% So I fight that problem too. Can anyone suggest a good electrict wheel chair? I want one that I can go on the grass or the floor. Any help in finding the right one would be great. Thanks

I fall sometimes. A friend and I were counting up the times I've fallen and it was more than I had thought. Really only about 6 times but they've been bad falls and I'm not sure if I'm just clumsy or if it has been me having a hard time operating my leg on ocassion. I've had pain in my ankle and the doctor took an x-ray but my leg/ankle/foot are so swollen it was hard to tell if I had a fracture after one of the falls. We talked about me having an MRI, but I can't remember why I didn't. I sometimes feel weakness in my foot/ankle and I wonder if its the lymphedema or if I do have a small fracture in my foot/ankle that has never healed.
xshlynne

Postby JoeBFlor » Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:38 pm

Hi Cindy: I'm Joe Begalla from Denver. I have experienced similar leg weakness from my lymphedema (both legs and abdomen) and I believe I have made the mistake of "resting" and elevating my legs more than walking or exercising. I really believe that my tendency to use the discomfort and akwardness of walking as an excuse to "lay back" has been detrimental to my overall physical fitness.

I am now walking a little further each day, and making a concerted effort to climb stairs to restore my muscle tone...and it's working. I feel better, and my strength is returning. For me, it's required a change of mindset, and even though my legs are wrapped, I push my self to do little more each day. I can't say that this is what you should do, but I just wanted to let you know of how this is working for me.

Good luck...Joe
JoeBFlor

Return to Leg Lymphedema